Prep: 15 min, Steep: 8-11 days
Yield: About 48 oz.
~45% Alc./Vol.(90 Proof)*
Packing a Moscow-Sized Punch
Ginger has taken off in the mixology world, thanks in large part to the growing popularity of the Moscow Mule. This recipe gives you a versatile and potent liqueur to add that distinct snap of ginger to any of your own concoctions and provides a starting block for new interpretations of everyone’s favorite copper-mugged libation.
First, you’ll need to gather your ingredients: 1 cup fresh ginger root, 1 vanilla bean (split), 1 bottle Everclear® (750 mL), 3 cups sugar and 3 cups filtered water. The sugar and water will be used to make simple syrup once your infusion is finished. If you need something more in-depth, check out our easy simple syrup instructions.
Using the edge of a spoon, scrape the skin away from the ginger root. Then roughly chop into small pieces until you have a cup. Combine your chopped ginger, vanilla bean and Everclear® in a large, sealable container. Let steep in a cool, dry place for 24 hours. Remove the vanilla bean, then let steep for another 7-10 days or to taste.
Once infused to your liking, strain out ginger using a fine mesh strainer or coffee filter. Combine strained infusion with simple syrup in a 1:1 ratio. Mix thoroughly, then bottle and enjoy.
This recipe is more potent in flavor than most liqueurs, but is also used in smaller quantities. An ounce, or even half-ounce, will likely give your cocktail the wallop you desire.
1 cup Fresh ginger
1 Vanilla bean, split
1 bottle Everclear® (750 mL)
3 cups Sugar
3 cups Filtered water
- Using the edge of a spoon, scrape the skin from the ginger root and roughly chop into small slices.
- Combine ginger, Everclear® and vanilla bean in a large, sealable container.
- Let steep for 24 hours, remove the vanilla bean, then let steep for another 7-10 days.
- Once steeped, strain the infusion using a fine mesh strainer or coffee filter.
- Combine the water and sugar in a pan over heat to make simple syrup. Let cool.
- Combine cooled simple syrup and infusion. Mix thoroughly.
- Bottle and enjoy.
If you want even more of that distinct ginger punch, you can double the amount of ginger and/or let it steep for 14 days rather than 7-10.
*If using Everclear® 151: 35.75% Alc./Vol. (71.5 Proof)