Because Everclear burns off at a lower temperature than water, this batter dries out faster. That means less grease absorption and a crispier crunch for your favorite tempura dishes.
⅓ c. Everclear
½ c. Cornstarch
½ c. All-Purpose Flour
½ tsp. Kosher Salt
1 Large Egg
⅓ c. Club Soda
4 c. Fry Oil (Canola, Peanut or Vegetable)
- In a large bowl, add the cornstarch, flour and salt.
- In another small bowl, crack the egg then add the Everclear. Whisk until the egg fully homogenizes then add the club soda.
- Immediately pour into the flour cornstarch mixture and mix gently.
- Add the fry oil to a deep thick bottomed pot and heat to 350F (177C). Line a sheet pan with paper towels.
- When the oil reaches 350F (177C) or a few degrees above (the temperature drops every time you add the tempura) dip the shrimp or vegetables into the batter, shake off some of the batter for a light coating then add to the oil.
- Continue to check and maintain the temperature of the oil. Fry until golden brown, then remove with a slotted spoon onto the paper towel lined pan. Dip into tentsuya or ponzu.
Please Enjoy Responsibly.