FLAKY PIE CRUST
AN AIRY DELIGHT.
Get effortlessly flaky pie by infusing your crust recipe with Everclear. Everclear helps prevent gluten formation, which can toughen dough.
½ cup Everclear
¼ cup Water
1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp Salt
3 c. All Purpose Flour
3 Sticks Unsalted Butter, Frozen
- Mix the Everclear, water, vinegar and salt in a volume measuring cup and place in the freezer.
- Measure out the flour into a large bowl, grate the butter and toss into the flour. Or cut into cubes and cut the butter into the flour until small pea sized. Put in the freezer.
- When everything is very cold, remove from the freezer. Slowly add the Everclear liquid into the flour butter mixture. Swirl a slotted spoon as the liquid pours to evenly distribute over the dough.
- In three sprinkles, with a rubber spatula, gently mix the liquid throughout the dough without working the dough.
- Pour the shaggy dough out onto a floured surface. Barely bring the dough together (do not knead the dough) and flatten out with a rolling pin. It will be crumbly.
- Fold the dough onto itself. Flatten the dough again, then tightly wrap in plastic wrap or waxed cloth using the wrap to form a disk.
- Place in the fridge overnight or freeze for several months. Defrost in the fridge overnight if frozen and let sit at room temperature for a half hour before rolling.
To blind bake the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 425F, line the crust with parchment paper and fill with pie weights, beans, or rice. Make sure they press against the bottom and sides of the pie.
- Bake until barely golden 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the pie weights and bake 5-10 minutes (use the longer time if the pie will not bake again).
- Continue with your pie recipe.
Please Enjoy Responsibly.