FRIED PICKLE STUFFED ONION RINGS
Crispy, Crunchy, Cravory
Say goodbye to boring, soggy onion rings and hello to your new favorite app. Sub in Everclear® for water to prevent excess oil absorption and get the crispiest coating ever on these creative crowd-pleasers.
For the Onion Rings:
4 medium onions
6 slices of gouda
2 large pickled gherkins
For the Coating:
1 3/4 cups plain flour
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. white pepper
½ C. water
½ C. Everclear®
1 ½ C. breadcrumbs
4 C. vegetable oil, for frying
For the Tangy Sauce:
¼ C. mayonnaise
1 tbsp. drained horseradish
2 tsp. ketchup
¼ tsp. Cajun seasoning
To Make the Tangy Sauce:
In a small bowl, add mayonnaise, horseradish, ketchup and Cajun seasoning. Whisk together with a fork. Place in fridge to cool.
To Make the Onion Rings:
- Slice off ½ inch from the top and bottom of an onion.
- Peel and slice in half across the middle.
- Take off the outer ring and remove membrane.
- Pair with a smaller ring that fits inside but leave a small gap. Repeat until there are 8 sets of rings. Place rings on tray.
- Cut strips of cheese and insert them between the two rings of onion.
- Cut slices of gherkins to fit in the middle of the rings.
- Wrap this in a strip of cheese and insert that into the middle. Use extra bits of cheese to fill gaps.
- Mix flour, salt and pepper together.
- Add eggs and whisk together.
- Gradually add water and Everclear®. Whisk until smooth.
- Place breadcrumbs into a shallow dish and line a tray with baking parchment.
- Submerge the onion rings one at a time in the batter then lift out with two forks.
- Transfer them to the breadcrumb dish and spoon breadcrumbs over them. Repeat for a double coating, then shape with hands to smooth out.
- Place onto the lined tray and into the freezer for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan until it reaches 350°F.
- In batches, lower the onion rings into the hot oil and cook until golden brown (about 3 mins).
- Drain on paper towels.
- Once complete, put all onion rings onto a tray and into the oven for 10 minutes to cook through.
- Serve immediately, with tangy sauce on the side.
Please Enjoy Responsibly.