Fresh Lemon by the Dash.
You don’t typically describe bitters as sweet. But you also don’t typically make them with fresh grown Meyer lemons. While your standard lemon will do, the smooth-skinned Meyer lemon provides a uniquely sweeter taste. And if you can find them in season, this recipe captures their essence for year-round experimentation.
To simplify things, we’ve split the ingredients up into three categories: dried, fresh and liquid. For dried, you’ll need 6 cracked green cardamom pods, ½ tsp. gentian root, 2 tbsp. lemongrass, ½ tbsp. coriander seed and 1 tbsp. dried orange peel.
For fresh ingredients, you’ll need 1 tbsp. of chopped ginger and 4 Meyer lemons.
For liquid, you’ll need 12 oz. Everclear® and 12 oz. purified or bottled water.
First, collect zest from the lemons using a microplane. Once zest is removed, you can reserve the lemons themselves for other uses.
Place all fresh and dried ingredients in a mason jar and add Everclear®. Seal the jar and let steep in a cool, dark place for 1 week. Agitate and taste daily until it’s infused to your liking.
Once fully steeped, strain off Everclear® infusion with cheesecloth or fine strainer and store in a clean mason jar, reserving the steeped solids.
On stovetop, mix steeped solids and purified water. Bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Store in Mason jar for 1 week to let sediment separate.
Strain water infusion with cheesecloth or a fine strainer. Blend the Everclear and water infusions and let rest for 5-7 days.
Fine strain once more with coffee filter and store in bitters bottles with eyedroppers. And, the most important step of all, enjoy.
MEYER LEMON BITTERS
6 Green cardamom pods (cracked)
½ Teaspoon gentian root
2 Tablespoons lemon grass
½ Teaspoon coriander seed
1 Tablespoon dried orange peel
1 Tablespoon fresh chopped ginger
4 Meyer lemons (zest)
12 oz. Everclear®
12 oz. water
- Chop ginger and microplane lemon zest.
- Combine Everclear®, lemon zest, ginger and dried ingredients in a large, sealable container.
- Let steep for one week, shaking and tasting daily.
- Strain off Everclear®, storing in a mason jar and reserving the steeped solids.
- On stovetop, simmer steeped solids and water for 10 minutes.
- Let cool and store in mason jar for one week.
- Strain water with cheesecloth or fine strainer.
- Mix Everclear® infusion with water infusion.
- Let rest for 5-7 days then fine strain with coffee filter.
- Bottle, store in a cool, dry place and enjoy.